[gedit-list] after 1 month of use -- gedit feedback / issues

Hi list,

Ok, I've been using gedit (v2.18.1) for almost 1 month now, and here are the issues I'm having --

(I apologize in advance for the "draft-like" text of this email -- time has been short..)

* Features I'm missing in gedit:

- Configurable chars to be part of word -- like in gnome-terminal's option: "Select-by-word characters"
(e.g., to add "_", and ":" for Ruby symbols, "$" for Ruby global vars, etc.)
So that we can, e.g., make gedit see "_" as part of a word -- so that double-clicking on a variable with underscores will select the whole variable, same for Ruby symbols, etc..

- Smart Home?
I.e., <Home> putting the cursor after indentation (instead of at col 1)

- Z-order Tab Switching with Ctrl-Tab (or other hotkey)
explanation - from a quick googling:
"Z-order buffer switching allows you to easily switch to previous buffer using Ctrl-Tab, with exact behavior you expect from Alt-Tab."
as seen in:
Firefox, jEdit, and a good deal of editors..

- Smarter Indentation for Ruby / Rails
e.g.: <Enter> in a line that starts with "class " should increase indentation for next line. same with "def ".

-- Is there some way to get any of these?
Some configuration? Plugin? Or "patches welcome"? ;) (I intend to contribute in the future..)

* Some problems / questions:

(BTW, I've installed the additional lang and MIME types for Rails available here (page in spanish):
http://blog.nationcode.com/articles/2007/05/29/emular-textmate-en-linux
)

- Why sometimes gedit doesn't:
recognize when I open an .rhtml file and set up proper syntax highlighting for it?

- When does gedit save the last position of the caret in a file?
Bug: A lot of times gedit doesn't save the last position of the caret in a file.

- gedit displays one less newline at end of file?
-- one less newline at end of file than other editors?

That said, I love gedit! :) Thank you to everyone who has been contributing.

..Coming from jEdit, I really appreciate gedit's responsiveness and lightness. I intend to use gedit as my main programming editor for a long time to come.

Thanks for reading this, and I hope someone can enlighten me on some of these issues.

And thanks, Nando, for your latest -- the Rails Hotkeys plugin! :) Great work.