Re: [gedit-list] Gedit Plugins - Unofficial Enhancement Proposal

2007/2/23, Steve Frécinaux <nudrema gmail com>:
On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 12:11 +0100, Trond Danielsen wrote:
> 2007/2/23, Steve Frécinaux <nudrema gmail com>:
> > On Fri, 2007-02-23 at 00:40 +0000, Zeth Green wrote:
> > > 1. Single Plugin Format
> > >
> > > All plugins have a .gedit-plugin file. However, beyond that, at the
> > > moment, plugins can be organised in two ways. They can be a single
> > > file, or they can be a directory. This inconsistency will make it very
> > > complicated for graphical plugin installation and especially
> > > uninstallation.
> > >
> > > I propose a single format. All plugins will basically follow the
> > > directory approach, but the gedit-plugin file will be inside the
> > > directory.
> >
> > This is mostly an implementation matter. If you have some graphical
> > plugin manager, he will deal with that by itself. You download the
> > tarball and the GUI installs it correctly. That's how the theme manager
> > works fwiw and there is no problem about that. BTW you seem to forget
> > there are also C plugins (yeah, a third "format", even harder to
> > install).
> >

> Wouldn't it be easier to add and remove plugins if the plugin engine
> did a recursive search through the plugin folders? That way each
> plugin could be installed in separate folder, instead of having all
> .gedit-plugin files in the "root" folder?

Maybe, the remaining issue is that the directory tree can be quite deep
(for python plugins, or useless data, or whatever)
Anyway it's true we could have one dir per plugin, then "recurse" only
to the first subdirectory, while remaining compatible with the current
system (backward compatibility matters)

Patches encouraged ;-)

Working on it...

--