[gedit-list] getting cursor position

Hello,

I started hacking on the class browser plugin again, and I am currently
stuck with the following problem:

I would like to highlight the class the cursor is currently positioned
at in the class browser. I tried to get the current cursor position by
connecting to the view's "cursor-changed" signal, but it seems that it
is emitted only when I move the cursor with the keyboard and not with
the mouse.

Does somebody know how to reliably get the cursor position without
polling the buffer? And if not, do you think that setting a timeout to
get the current position is legitimate in this case?

Thanks!
Fred