Re: [gedit-list] any way to relax the strict conversions?

2006-02-16 (木) の 12:44 +0100 に Paolo Borelli さんは書きました:
> Joel Rees wrote:
>
> Hi Joel,
>
>     first of all thanks for your other mail posting your findings about
> the encoding gconf key. I am sure people having the same problem will
> find it useful.
>
> > I have a number of shift_JIS files which gedit refuses to accept as
> > shift_JIS, falling back to ISO-8859-15 and displaying all the Japanese
> > as proxies and moji-bake. Is there any way to get gedit to relax the
> > parsing?
> >
> Well, honestly I don't know the answer to your question. Gedit (and gtk
> in general) only deals with utf8 text internally, so all the files must
> be converted in utf8 upon load. To do the conversion we basically use
> glib's g_convert_* functions and handle errors so that we can try more
> than once to fallback to other encodings (the ones listed in the above
> mentioned gconf key, which usually are utf8, the current locale encoding
> and ISO-8859-15).
> What you describe sounds like a problem with g_convert when going from
> shift_JIS to utf8.

Yeah, that was my guess, although I didn't know the name of the routine
(not having looked at the code).

> You may want to see if newer version of glib improve the situation (I
> seem to recall that they updated some of the newer standards, but I may
> be wrong).
>
> Anyway any help in this area would be *very* welcome :)

Thanks for pointing me where I can look. I hope I can spring some time
loose to work on it, but probably not this week.