[gedit-list] changing default encoding, for example, to shift_JIS?

gedit 2.10.2, on Fedora Core 4, updated to latest.

    gedit --encoding shift_JIS file-name

works on the command line, and setting the command property for the
alias in the application menu to

    gedit --encoding shift_JIS %U

achieves the effect for starting gedit from there. But I'm trying for
the double-clicky effect so I can use Nautilus to browse these deep Java
classes with a little more finesse than allowed in file-open dialogs.

I guess this may be a question for the gnome list, but since I signed up
here before I found the --encoding option, does anyone know where to
tell the desktop to default double-clicked files to shift_JIS instead of
UTF-8?

Oh, never mind. I found the configuration editor in the system tools and
was able to dig down into apps -> gedit 2 -> preferences -> encodings
and insert "SHIFT_JIS" ahead of UTF-8 and that does the trick.

Sorry for the noise, but I'll go ahead and post this in case some poor
wandering soul like myself finds it shortens the hunt later.