Re: [gedit-list] Plugin Loader

Paolo Borelli wrote:

Bart Duchesne wrote:

Hi,

A while ago I had a conversation with someone (sorry lost the mails) here on the list about the plugin loader. I would like to integrate a ruby plugin loader (besides the python loader) into gedit.

Hi Bart, that guy would probably be me :)

I thought so but wasn't sure anymore...

What I said is that currently the python plugin loader is part of the core. Our take is that making gedit depend on python, ruby, scheme, perl, mono, $COOL_LANGUAGE_OF_THE_DAY would be a bit insane from a distribution point of view. Having N interpreters would also cause bloat and impact performance. That said, if someone is interested in making the plugin loader more modular and allow third party plugin loaders to be installed separately, I would not be opposed by any means. The python plugin would still be shipped by default with gedit since python is the defacto standard scripting language for gnome and some importants plugins part of gedit itself are now written in python. Other loaders could be separately installable.

I completely agree with this view on the subject.

From a technical point of view I have not given much thought on how "pluggable plugin loaders" would work, but I think it should be doable. Right now we are approaching the 2.14 release and we are focusing on bugfixing and polishing. However if you want to work on it we would certainly appreciate that and try to give you some feedback on patches or proposals. I also think that there are other people interested in that area: I know Emmanuele Bassi was interested in a perl plugin loader and a guy on irc the other day was playing with the idea of a scheme loader.

I think I will give it a try and see with what I come up with...