[gedit-list] Syntax highlighting and mime types (was: Documentation for syntax highlighting files?)

Hi all,

What exactly are the criteria gedit uses to switch on syntax
highlighting? I have noticed that when I edit Rexx files, syntax
highlight is disabled *unless* the first line begins with "/*" (the
start of a comment), which is the customary way of identifying Rexx
files under OS/2. Under *nix however it is less than satisfactory, as
the first line is where the bash shebang needs to go
(#!/usr/bin/regina).