Re: [gedit-list] Documentation for snippets plugin

> Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:38:09 +0200
> From: Jesse van den Kieboom <jesse icecrew nl>

> > That's the bit I don't understand -- what does
> > 'finalized' mean?
> > Is it simply that the Tab key will revert to
> inserting
> > tab characters?
>
> You could say that. All the placeholders are
> removed. At a more
> technical note (to clear things up): what happens
> when you insert a
> snippet is that certain marks are placed in the text
> to identify
> placeholders and such. Certain actions are taken
> when you enter or leave
> a placeholder or when you change the contents of a
> placeholder. When the
> snippet is finalized all these marks and the
> corresponding actions are
> removed and the plugin doesn't do anything special
> with that text
> anymore. I hope this makes it somewhat more clear
> what actually happens
> and what the consequences are.

So... in terms that an everyday user understands, 'the
text stops being magic'.

> > I'm also not sure about $GEDIT_CURRENT_WORD. Is it
> > implemented in 2.14.3? I can't get the example
> from
> > the  wiki page to do anything.
>
> This has been added in 2.15.1 and I don't think it
> has been backported
> to 2.14. It will be included in 2.16 though.

I'm a bit confused by the stuff on the wiki about the
word being removed.

Would it be correct to say that this snippet:
<${1}>$GEDIT_SELECTED_TEXT</${1}>

could be replaced with this:

<${1}>$GEDIT_CURRENT_WORD</${1}>

and the effect would be that I wouldn't need to
double-click to select the word first -- I could just
click in the word I want to enclose in tags?

All New Yahoo! Mail ? Tired of Vi gr@! come-ons? Let our SpamGuard protect you. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/nowyoucan.html