Re: [gedit-list] Documentation for snippets plugin

Op ma, 21-08-2006 te 13:45 +0100, schreef Joachim Noreiko:
> Hi.
> I've added a section on the Snippets plugin to the
> gedit manual. It's now in CVS, you can see it if you
> scroll right to the bottom of the section on plugins.
> Please file a bug if there are any mistakes.

I'll have a look at it later.

> Secondly, I have a few questions about the snippets
> plugin...
>
> 1. the wiki page
> http://live.gnome.org/Gedit/SnippetPlugin mentions
> Shell placeholders and python placeholders as being in
> CVS -- will these be in 2.16?

Yes.

> 2. I don't understand what the End placeholder does,
> in particular this: 'When this placeholder is entered,
> the snippet placeholders are removed and you are left
> with normal text.'

The end placeholder is the last placeholder you can jump to in a snippet
(when omitted it's inserted at the end of the snippet). When you 'enter'
this placeholder (e.g. tab to it, or put cursor on it) the snippet is
finalized.

> 3. What sort of accelerators can be used? If I enter
> 'a' into the field, does that mean I can use Alt-A? OR
> should I enter something like CTRL-A? What happens if
> I do enter CTRL-A -- will it cease to work for Select
> All? ('accelerators' is the wrong term to use, btw,
> I've filed a bug).

Valid accelerators are any alphanumeric character in combination one or
more  modifiers (shift, alt, control). You can also use the F1-F12
function keys as accelerators. A problem as you point out is already
assigned accelerators. The problem is that I don't know if and how you
can check if a certain accelerator is already used. The fact is that if
you assign Ctrl+A to a snippet it won't work because the menuitem Select
All consumes the accelerator event.

> 4. when I alter a standard gedit plugin, I assume it
> saves something to gedit prefs in ~/ Does the revert
> button revert the last edit, or revert to the original
> value that comes with gedit? Can I revert during a
> later gedit session, or only undo the last change?

It reverts to the system wide snippet. Changing a system defined snippet
results in a new snippet defined in ~/.gnome2/gedit/snippets which
overrides the system snippet. When you revert the override will be
simply removed leaving the system wide snippet again.

> I'd like to say thanks for a great plugin. I've been
> creating docbook snippets and they're already making
> my work a lot quicker and easier :) (I'll submit the
> snippets file as a patch later after I've made a
> proper .lang for DocBook.)

Okay, great!

--
Jesse van den Kieboom