[gedit-list] underscore character in 'match whole words'

Hi all,

I wanted to raise an issue with gedit that I've had for a little while
-- just a minor issue but an issue all the same.

Is there a way in gedit to make the underscore behave like a 'word'
character? There are definitely times when this is preferable to the
current behaviour:

    * when moving through sourcecode a word at a time, with ctrl-arrows.
    * when searching for variables in sourcecode, eg 'match whole word',
      searching for 'x', I don't want to match 'Re_x', only 'x' by itself.

I know that in TextPad, one has the option in the syntax definition file
to define additional 'word' characters. so in C and python, you would
define '_'. In XML, you might also define '-' so that things like
<xsl:apply-templates/> behave correctly.

I wonder if there's any chance of something being implemented to solve
this problem?

Cheers
JP

--
John Pye
School of Mechanical and Manufacturing Engineering