Re: [gedit-list] Enhancement requested

Paolo Borelli wrote:

When I reopen a file in gvim, it remembers where I was at in the last
session and that is where it opens into the file.  That is very
valuable.  Like I said, when I am working multiple source files, it
helps to remember where I left off automatically.
As far as I know, gedit does not do this. When I reopen a file, its
always at the top, looking at the familiar gnu license stuff.  (I do
development and testing for gfortran in my spare time).

Actually we implemented this, but we ended up disabling that for a
couple of reasons:
1 - it wasn't working properly :) 2 - enabling it incoditionally was confusing some of our users

I'm pretty confident that 1) is now fixed since we fixed "gedit +10 foo"
which opens a file and moves to line 10 and which uses the same code
path.
About 2) we should probably try again or at least add a GConf toggle for
it.

For now you can enable the feature by grabbing the source, editing
gedit-document.c in the function gedit_document_real_loaded and enabling
the bit of code that is currently commented out. Then compile and
install.

Hi All,

I finally was able to get gedit to compile. I did the above suggested change and see no change of behavior.

Any further suggestions?

Jerry