Re: [gedit-list] Enhancement requested

Il giorno gio, 22/09/2005 alle 15.45 -0700, DeLisle, Jerry V ha scritto:
> Hi,

Hi Jerry,

> I have been flipping back and forth between using gvim and gedit.  I
> really like gedit with the tabs.  It helps when I am working multiple
> source files.  However, gvim has one feature that keeps drawing me to
> it.
>
> When I reopen a file in gvim, it remembers where I was at in the last
> session and that is where it opens into the file.  That is very
> valuable.  Like I said, when I am working multiple source files, it
> helps to remember where I left off automatically.
>
> As far as I know, gedit does not do this.  When I reopen a file, its
> always at the top, looking at the familiar gnu license stuff.  (I do
> development and testing for gfortran in my spare time).

Actually we implemented this, but we ended up disabling that for a
couple of reasons:
1 - it wasn't working properly :)
2 - enabling it incoditionally was confusing some of our users

I'm pretty confident that 1) is now fixed since we fixed "gedit +10 foo"
which opens a file and moves to line 10 and which uses the same code
path.
About 2) we should probably try again or at least add a GConf toggle for
it.

For now you can enable the feature by grabbing the source, editing
gedit-document.c in the function gedit_document_real_loaded and enabling
the bit of code that is currently commented out. Then compile and
install.

I think it should work, let me know if it doesn't.

Thanks for using gedit,

	ciao