[gedit-list] Re: gedit ctags plugin

Hi again,

Following on a discussion about Jesse's 'ctags' plugin for gedit,

Jesse van den Kieboom wrote:

>Op do, 10-11-2005 te 00:25 +1100, schreef John Pye:
>

>>I got your new version of the file and downloaded it. I can't see where
>>to go next though. There's an automake.am file but no configure. I have
>>installed the gedit-devel package from Fedora updates (this is on FC3,
>>which offers gedit 2.8.1. As I recall newer versions of gedit aren't
>>possible without a system update to FC4, which is a bit scary), and it
>>contains the following files.
>>

>First of all. The plugin will only work with the newest new_mdi cvs
>branch (as it states on the wiki pages). This branch includes a brand
>new plugin handling system which is needed for the ctags plugin. You
>will need to build gedit from cvs.

I tried the following with both FC3 and FC4:

    * I downloaded the CVS copy of Gedit.
    * I installed gnome-common-2.8 (FC3) and gnome-common-2.12 (FC4)
      from Fedora Extras.
    * I ran ./autogen.sh

Running ./autogen.sh gave errors due to library dependencies. In the
case of the newer FC4, I got

> configure: error: Library requirements (
>         glib-2.0 >= 2.8.0
>         gtk+-2.0 >= 2.8.0
>         gtksourceview-1.0 >= 1.2.0
>         libgnomeui-2.0 >= 2.6.0
>         libglade-2.0 >= 2.4.0
>         libgnomeprintui-2.2 >= 2.6.0
>         gnome-vfs-2.0 >= 2.12.0
> ) not met;

On FC4 the versions of the above libraries were (found using rpm -q):
Glib 2.6.6.
GTK+ 1.2.10
gtksourceview 1.2.0
libgnomeui 2.10.0
libglade2 2.5.1
libgnomeprintui22 2.10.1
gnome-vfs2 2.10.0

So there are problems with glib and gnome-gfs versions. I take it those
constraints on the required versions are accurate? These constraints
make it impossible to use the new MDI version of Gedit on FC4. This
surprises me a little since I would have expected the 'new MDI' to
require perhaps new GUI widgets etc. But it seems that other things are
afoot. Perhaps I just have to wait till FC5 before I can use new Gedit
plugins?

Cheers
JP