[gedit-list] highlight mode cli switch

Is there a command line switch that I can use to tell gedit what
highlight mode to use for the document being opened?

Or even better, where can I find the info to tell gedit what kind of
encoding to use for specific file types.

Reason:
I work with a lot of XML files that have varying extensions based on the
application, I don't want to have to set XML highlighting for each of 20
XSL files, and then do it again when the files move to another folder.

Thanks for helping.

Regards,

Marc DM.

PS. I'm going to go searching through the documentation when I get a
chance so if no-one answers I'll understand. - mdm