Re: [gedit-list] Can't open a 2.6MB file

Il giorno gio, 25/08/2005 alle 10.18 -0700, Kenneth B.Hill ha scritto:
> On Aug 25, 2005, at 2:54 AM, Paolo Borelli wrote:
>
> > Il giorno mer, 24/08/2005 alle 17.39 -0700, Kenneth B. Hill ha scritto:
> >> Is there a file size limit for a file that gedit can open? I'm trying
> >> open a 2.6MB size file, and it just "hangs" and I have to force quit
> >> it.
> >> If there is a sixe limit for gedit, then can you recommend another
> >> gnome
> >> text editor that can handle larger files? Thank you.
> >>

> > There shouldn't be any size limit, though opening very big files may be
> > a little slow and hang the interface for a while in the current
> > version , since the loading is done synchronously. However 2.6 MB
> > doesn't seem that big... I just tried a 1.3MB (the biggest I could find
> > in my /var/log) and it opened pretty fast without any problems.
> >

> > ciao
> > 	Paolo
> >

> I just checked my PC; it has 233MB of RAM. I am able to open the 2.6MB
> file, but when I try and do a search-and-replace (| => ',') the gedit
> app hangs. I'm thinking more memory in the PC will help.

[I inadvertitely removed gedit-list from cc in the previous response]

As suggested by another guy, does the file in question have very long
lines and you have word wrapping turned on? This can cause big
performance problems... unfortunately it's a pathological behavior of
GtkTextView and we can't do much about it.