Re: [gedit-list] Defining your own new input methods?

Il giorno gio, 25/08/2005 alle 11.26 +0200, Ken Beesley ha scritto:
>   Inquiry: Definining your own new input methods?
>
> Some time ago I managed to write some new
> "Simple Composing Input Methods" for gtkplus,
> and get them installed (by piggybacking them into
> gtk-im-extra).
>
> I managed to get them working and selectable
> from within gedit, but it was all more painful
> than it ought to be.
>
> I'm starting to experiment with gedit and Unicode
> input methods again.  Could some kind guru please
> summarize the status of Defining and Installing
> Your Own New Input Methods for GNOME/GTK/gedit?
>
> 1.  Are documentation/tutorials now available?
>
> 2.  Simple Composing Input Methods are really too
> simplified for my needs.  They allow you to specify
> a sequence of Key Presses that constitute an input
> sequence, and each input sequence must map to a
> _single_ Unicode character output.
>
> I need to define input methods that map a sequence
> of one-or-more Key Events (where Key Events includes information
> about which modifier keys, if any, were pressed) to
> one-or-more Unicode character outputs.  There might
> be one-to-one, many-to-one, one-to-many, or many-to-many.
>
> What's the current format/API/recommendation for defining
> such input methods for Gnome/GTK/gedit?
>
> 3.  Has the input-method installation procedure been simplified?
>
> To install a new Java Input Method, you simply copy it into the
> Extensions Directory of your Java installation.  That makes it
> visible to all Java applications.  When you launch a java application,
> you can also using the -D command-line flag to specify a PATH
> (directory, or set of directories) where the applications should
> look for extensions (input methods).
>
> Similarly, to install a new OS X input method, you simply place
> it in one of several designated folders (including your own
> personal folder for input methods).
>
> It would be welcome news to learn that installing a new input
> method for GNOME/GTK/gedit was just as easy.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Ken

[quoting your whole message so that other people can read it]

Hi Ken,

	first of all, this mailing list on sourceforge has been closed for some
time now and the gedit list is now gedit-list gnome org (added to CC),
see www.gnome.org/mail to subscribe etc (though the whole www.gnome.org
seems to have network problems at the moment).

I know very little about input methods and so I'm not really able to
help you, but I can tell you that as far as I know gedit doesn't have
any specific code to deal with them and I think it's all handled by gtk.
Maybe gtk-devel-list gnome org is best suited for this.

ciao