Re: [gedit-list] Saving CR/LF files

On Sat, 2004-08-07 at 17:24 +0100, Ludootje wrote:
> On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 13:32, Paolo Borelli wrote:
> > On Fri, 2004-08-06 at 14:12 +0200, Alessandro Di Rubbo wrote:
> > > I would know if it's possible saving CR/LF (used by Windows Notepad),
> > > instead of LF, text files? Thanks.
> >
> > Such functionality should be implemented as a plugin. If anyone is
> > interested in trying to implement it, let us know. It should be fairly
> > easy.
>
> Wouldn't it be more logical to add this in gEdit itself, for example
> when you do 'Save As...', you could change the file type to ".txt with
> CR/LF endings".
>
> Then again, with gEdit's new file dialog, there's no such thing as the
> file type... Maybe  adapt the character encoding so something like this
> can be added? Or a checkbox "Use CR/LF line endings".
> Now I think about it, maybe this is what you meant... have a plugin to
> add this option to the file dialog? I understood it as a plugin to save
> *all* files with CR/LF endings, which doesn't seem very useful to me, as
> CR/LF are probably exceptions instead of the rule to most people.

What I was thinking was having a submenu (say Edit->Format) with 3 items
(Unix, Mac, Windows). The three items would obviously be mutually
exclusive (radio buttons). Selecting such a menu item would convert the
current document.

I'm not convinced that putting one more option into the save dialog is
ideal, since I think it isn't a frequent operation, but of course I'm
open to any discussion.

Beside I'm still convinced that such a feature belongs in a plugin since
most of the users would not need it and afaik currently plugins can only
add menu items...

ciao
	paolo