Re: [gedit-list] Function List plugin

Hi,

> I writing this email to declare my intention to work on a plugin that
> provides a function list (which would let you jump to each function's
> body by clicking on a list of function names for the current open file)
> for at least C, and presumably more languages down the line.
>
> I am also seeking advice.  How would the GEdit developers like this to
> work?  Like the current Tag List plugin that opens a new window and has
> to be explicitly re-opened on gedit startup (seems like a reasonable way
> to do it)?  Or, maybe like UltraEdit does it and open a panel in the
> editor itself and remembers its opened/closed state across gedit
> processes?  In particular, I'm looking for input from a useability/HIG
> perspective.

Well, both solutions are ok for me. You could also try a 3rd way: the
window (ATM, you can not have panels in gedit) is automatically reopened
when you open a file for which you previously opened the window itself
(i.e. by remembering the state on a per-file base).

> Also, is there any prior art or other efforts in this direction that I
> should be aware of?

There should be some code in scaffold (but I'm not sure) and there were
also a very old plugin for gedit (probably in pre 0.6 releases).

>  Is there a resource that would do the source code
> processing for me?

You could use ctags (iirc, there should also be a "libified" version of
ctags used by scaffold.

>  Ideally, GtkSourceView could handle some of this
> work -- does it have support for what a function looks like in various
> languages or even for parsing through a file?

No, it has not support for this kind of stuff.

>  I can't find good
> documentation for what gtksourceview provides.

If you want, I'd like to discuss your plans (on the gedit-list ML or on
the #gedit channel on irc.gnome.org)

Paolo Maggi                      E-mail: paolo DOT maggi AT polito DOT it
Dip. Automatica e Informatica    Tel.  : + 39 011 564 7078
Politecnico di Torino            Fax   : + 39 011 564 7099

A Bugless Program is an Abstract Theoretical Concept.