[gedit-list] Function List plugin

Hello, GEdit developers.

I writing this email to declare my intention to work on a plugin that provides a function list (which would let you jump to each function's body by clicking on a list of function names for the current open file) for at least C, and presumably more languages down the line.

I am also seeking advice. How would the GEdit developers like this to work? Like the current Tag List plugin that opens a new window and has to be explicitly re-opened on gedit startup (seems like a reasonable way to do it)? Or, maybe like UltraEdit does it and open a panel in the editor itself and remembers its opened/closed state across gedit processes? In particular, I'm looking for input from a useability/HIG perspective.

Also, is there any prior art or other efforts in this direction that I should be aware of? Is there a resource that would do the source code processing for me? Ideally, GtkSourceView could handle some of this work -- does it have support for what a function looks like in various languages or even for parsing through a file? I can't find good documentation for what gtksourceview provides.

Thanks for your time,
-mt