Re: [gedit-list] gedit tasks (user documentation for the plugins) [Start of Documentation]

Hi Ajit,

> 	Here's what I've done so far.  I'm aiming to have the rest done bye
> next week hopefully (real life perimitting ;)).  I would appreciate any
> comments.  It would be great to have them now so I can apply them to the
> stuff I will write.

Great work.

> 	One thing - the date plugin and other plugins have a conifguration
> dialog.  Are these subsections of the "Using the date/time plugin"
> section or are they sections in their own right?

hmm... dunno. Irene?

You will find my comments below.

> <sect2 id="gedit-insert-date-time-plugin">
> <title>Insert Date/Time Plugin</title>
>
> <para>The <>Insert Date/Time<> plugin allows you to insert the current date and time into a document.  To use the <>Insert Date/Time<> plugin, click the position in the document where you want the date/time to be inserted.  Choose
>
> <menuchoice>
> <guimenu>Edit</guimenu>
> <guimenuitem>Insert Date/Time</guimenuitem>
> </menuchoice>.
> </para>
>
> 	<sect3 id="gedit-change-date-time-prefs">
> 	<title>Changing the Insert Date/Time Plugin Preferences</title>
> 		<para>You can change the format of the date and time before you insert them into your document.  To change your settings, choose
> 		<menuchoice>
> 		<guimenu>Edit</guimenu>
> 		<guimenuitem>Preferences</guimenuitem>
> 		</menuchoice>.

IMO, you should add that the user have to choose a format from the list
and press OK.

> <sect1 id="gedit-plugin-usage">
>
> <sect2 id="gedit-ascii-table-plugin">
> <title>ASCII Table Plugin</title>
>
> <para>
> The <>ASCII Table</> plugin allows you to insert ASCII characters into a document.  To use the <>ASCII Table</> plugin, choose
> <menuchoice>
> <guimenu>View</guimenu>
> <guimenuitem>ASCII Table</guimenuitem>.
> </menuchoice>
> The <guilabel>ASCII Table</guilabel> dialog lists the following information:
> </para>
> <informaltable frame="topbot">
> 	<tgroup cols="2">
> 	<colspec colname="col1"/>
> 	<colspec colname="col2"/>
> 	<thead>
> 	<row valign="top">
> 		</row>
> 		</thead>
> 		<tbody>
> 		<row valign="top">
> 		</row>
> 		<row valign="top">
> 		</row>
> 		<row valign="top">
> 		</row>
> 		<row valign="top">
> 		</row>
> 		</tbody>
> 		</tgroup>
> 		</informaltable>
> <para>
> </para>

You should explain how to insert a char in the doc (pressing the Insert
Char or...). Chars are added at the current cursor position.

Actually being the dialog non modal, you can edit documents even when
the dialog is opened.

Thanks for your help.

Ciao,

Paolo Maggi                      E-mail: maggi athena polito it
Dip. Automatica e Informatica    Tel.  : + 39 011 564 7078
Politecnico di Torino            Fax   : + 39 011 564 7099

A Bugless Program is an Abstract Theoretical Concept.