[gedit-list] Re: gedit work - 'port sort plugin' assigned

Hi,

> I tried to image the sort of use case for wanting date/time in a text
> file. First the user might think 'I want the current date/time', and
> then they'd look for a menu item to insert it, and appreciate a choice
> of formats... The current method of choosing the format in the configure
> dialog, while perfectly functional, is unlikely to be found at all by
> novice users, imho.

What about modifing the configure dialog in this way?

  +-------------------------------------+
  +-------------------------------------+
  |                                     |
  |  O Always ask the format to use     |
  |                                     |
  |  O Always use the selected format:  |
  |                                     |
  |  +-------------------------------+  |
  |  |  Custom format                |  |
  |  |  2002-01-12                   |  |
  |  |  Wed...                       |  |
  |  |  dfsdf                        |  |
  |  |  fsdf                         |  |
  |  |                               |  |
  |  |                               |  |
  |  |                               |  |
  |  |                               |  |
  |  +-------------------------------+  |
  |                  _______________    |
  |  Custom format: |_______________|   |
  |                                     |
  | ----------------------------------- |
  |                                     |
  |                         Cancel  OK  |
  |                                     |
  +-------------------------------------+

The list of format is sensitive only if the second radio button is
active.
In the case the first option is selected a dialog box with a list of
formats is selected.

The custom format let the advanced user to enter a desired custom format
(using strftime conventions)

Probably the text I have used for the options is to reword.

Lemme know what do you think.

Ciao,
Paolo (the ASCII artist)

--
Paolo Maggi                      E-mail: maggi athena polito it
Dip. Automatica e Informatica    Tel.  : + 39 011 564 7078

A Bugless Program is an Abstract Theoretical Concept.