[Geary] Follow-ups & new issues

Hi team

If this is a duplicate, THIS is the CORRECT message. (Plz disregard PREVIOUS.)

MANY THANKS for the best mail client on Linux. Much gratitude for everyone's hard work!

Plz don't take these comments personally, it's not criticism. I understand development takes a long time. I realize there are many things you're still fixing.  Just sharing my user-experience. I share my frustrations as any end-user who might get frustrated. Not directed at the team.

Also, i know some or all of these issues may already have tickets. Sorry, i didn't take the time to research the 2 bug trackers. Feel free to ignore items that already have tickets.

Apologies for typos.

---
Andre wrote: "please file your bugs with Linux Mint in the issue tracker of Linux Mint."
Now running 0.12.3. On Mint, the only way i could get it was PPA. Mint forum tells me they offer whatever version is in Ubuntu. Will you now tell me this is Ubuntu's fault? Please consider that users will get whatever version their repo gives them, so just MAYBE it's the geary-team's job to make sure the right version is out there. Maybe.

Why is flatpak geary so HUGE? ~1.5GB. That's nuts! (that's why i used PPA).

---
I don't get red squigglies on the misspellings below. But if i right-click them, then i do get spelling suggestions. So it seems the spell-check is working, but red squigglies are not.

sdfasf kdlk

Maybe this is a theme issue, but imo geary team needs to override the theme for important stuff. My reading of GTK theming docs suggests that, yes, app-devs can override the desktop theme (more info below on that).

---
Some comments about replies:
- After deleting all previous text in a reply, the text-area from the deleted text is still there. But it's hidden. If i click in that area, it becomes visible. To me, that confusing and risks user accidentally typing in that area, resulting in weirdly formatting outgoing emails (especially if rich-text). I typed some new text in the area, below, so you can see what i mean.

- Suggestion: if user deletes all the text in the previous-text area , then:
- completely remove the area, rather than just hide it.
- or, at least put a dotted border around it, so user knows it's there.

---
Michael wrote: "WebkitGTK does not have a a function call to perform "check spelling now", this would not be possible to implement. I have spent a lot of time looking at the API for WebKitGTK and have not found ever found a way to do this."

Question: Is it not possible to completely rip out the spell-check feature from geary? (i assume yes). Ok, that's a way to turn it off-- not a realistic one, of course. So, shy of removing the feature, is it not possible to disable the feature? There must be. So there's your "check now" button-- keep spell-check disabled until user enables it with "Check now" button. It's not really a check-now button-- it's an enable/disable button. Functionally the same, for the user. Why would a user want this? Because i HATE those red squigglies when i'm typing! Totally distracting and annoying!

---
Michael wrote: "Geary checks spelling as you type it, so there is no need for either of the buttons. If that does not work..."
If it's not working, how will the user know? There should be some kind of visual, such as a status bar message: "checking spelling".

---
There's a feature-request template in your gitlab, on the issue-compose screen. Maybe you should remove that template, if you don't want feature requests there.
Question: Where does one post feature-requests? Bugzilla used to be the place for that. A 'feature request' is different than a 'bug report'.

---
I'm now typing this line at the bottom of this message. Since your compose screen goes to the very bottom of my display, the legs of p's and g's are getting cut off. I LIKE the big compose screen, but letters shouldn't get cut off. The behavior seems inconsisten, tho'. For example, if i scroll up and then start typing (while my insertion-point is below the bottom of the screen) then:
- sometimes the page jumps up just enough to see my typing and legs cut off.
- And sometimes, it scroll up extra, so no cutoffs.

If i shrink, and then remaximize the screen, results vary.

---
Request: Clear and remove search-box when changing folders:
1. Do a search. Type into search box. Message-list gets filtered to that search.
2. Change folders
3. Searchbox still contains old search string, even though messages are no longer filtered to search-string. That confusing, if not a bug.

Might be good to have some visual indicator so user knows they are looking at a filtered list. The presence of the search box, with a search-string in it, seems the most obvious and simple indicator.

---
Request: Scroll list to top after submitting search string. Not currently happening. I know you have a ticket for that after fetching, but not sure you have a ticket for that after searching.

---
Request: In popout mode, change 'Save and Close' to "Save".
- i want to save without closing-- no way to.
- Redundant: There's already a close button.

Also enable ctrl-s. Oh, heck! I think you have ctrl-s for SENDING, because i see a duplicate message of this message in the main window conversation thread. ctrl-s for saving is the UNIVERSAL STANDARD, ALL OS's, ALL SOFTWARE. For geary to redefine ctrl-s is, no offense, really bad.
- you may see this message twice, since i did ctrl-s while still composing. NOT MY FAULT- fault of person who though redefining ctrl-s was a good idea.
- if you didn't get this message twice, that means ctrl-s saves a copy (because i see a duplicate in the message thread now). I cannot tell what happened, because your Help says the draft window is closed when i send-- but this draft window didn't close when i did ctrl-s.
- BUG? After clicking around, i no longer see the duplicate message in the conversation thread, or in my sent box. Bug?

If you're doing auto-save, plz indicate!
- "Saving..." or "Saved" in statusbar.
- Your help says "For mail servers that support drafts, Geary will automatically save the message as you type."
-- WHEN??? I've been composing for several minutes in this popout window, but the draft in the main window conversation-thread is still not updated.

---
Your "quote/unquote" icons are too similar to the standard indent/outdent icons. Also, normal people don't know that greater-than symbol mean "quote". Normal people think the quote-symbol means quote.

Also, you don't need being/end quote buttons-- you don't have begin/end bold buttons, do you? Or begin/end italic buttons. Just one button needed, like all the other formatting buttons. One button: simpler.

---
Bug? I think so:

- I inserted the image above.
- Then i removed it.
- Then, in my OS, i edited the image, and saved. The new image is much smaller.
- Then came back here and inserted the image again.
- i got the old, unedited image, instead of the new edited image. Got the big one.
- Then i saved/closed this draft.
- Then re-opened the draft.
- Now the image is the new version.

Caching issue?

---
My workflow while composing this email (roughly):
- Reply to list
- Pop-out draft
- Return to main window
- Search messages for "geary", so i can review various related messages.
- Click on a related mail and read.
- Click 'save and close' (when i really just want to save and keep composing). i have no idea if/when geary auto-saved.
- Since my main window is on a different message now: Go to draft folder to re-open this message.
- Pop-out draft
- Return to main window
- Since search results now lost: Search messages for "geary", so i can review various related messages.
- Click on a related mail and read.
- Click 'save and close' (when i really just want to save).
- Since my main window is on a different message now: Go to draft folder to re-open this message.
- Repeat, repeat, repeat, gaahh!

A simple 'save without closing' would eliminate this misery.

---
Request: Is there a "find" function in compose window? That would be extremely helpful when composing a long message.

---
Request: Plz give message headers in conversation lists a stronger background color. I'm getting light gray headers in my theme. On my LCD screen, grays render much lighter near the bottom of the screen than near the top. Gray headers near the bottom of the screen a practically invisible. Can't see 'em.

Michael wrote: "Geary does not specify custom colours for these components [message headers]"
- I don't believe that geary does not specify ANYTHING about appearance. GTK theming is CSS. Colors are applied according to the classes you apply in geary. A theme is going to display based on some kind of indicators that you put into your application. Geary must at least have indicators like "strong" or "important" or "title" etc.

The following might help:

"Widgets can add style classes to their context, which can be used to associate different styles by class."
"If you are using custom styling on an applications, you probably want then to make your style information prevail to the theme’s, so you must use a GtkStyleProvider with the GTK_STYLE_PROVIDER_PRIORITY_APPLICATION priority"
gtk_render_background ()
https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/3.22/GtkStyleContext.html
https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/3.22/GtkStyleContext.html#gtk-style-context-set-background

#define GTK_STYLE_PROPERTY_BACKGROUND_COLOR "background-color"
A property holding the background color of rendered elements as a GdkRGBA.
https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/3.22/GtkStyleContext.html#GTK-STYLE-PROPERTY-BACKGROUND-COLOR:CAPS

---
- Request: Show header colors without mouse-hover. It's confusing that headers change color on hover. What's the point of that? I want to see where the headers are without having to go hunting with my mouse. Bad ue.

---
If you're asking people to post first to list before filing a bug, no probs. However, consider that end users will not go to the trouble of posting first to the list, and then REposting to gitlab after you say, "oh that's a new bug, please file a bug report on gitlab." DUPLICATE EFFORT.

Suggestion: if a user posts a new bug to the list, then list-team should put it on gitlab, instead of asking end-user to duplicate their effort. Added benefit is the team will post the issue correctly, while end users might do so incorrectly.

---
Request: Is there a "find" function in compose window? Or a ticket for that? I'm afraid to type ctrl-f while composing,for fear the devs refined ctrl-f to mean 'forward' or something.

---
Bug: Extended fields sometimes show when Extended fields checkbox isn't checked.

---
Bug: On shrink main window, sometimes shrunk window is too wide for display, and cannot be made narrow. Maximize restores windows to fit my display.

---
Save and close button: the "close" part makes no sense in non-popped-out mode.

---
Bug? Inconsistent paste (this message):
- In docked-draft-mode, pasting text is rich text.
- In popped-out mode, pasting text is plain text.

---
I was asked not to add comments to closed gitlab issues, because devs will waste time going to read it.
Suggestion: Assume if someone adds a comment to a gitlab issue WITHOUT re-opening the issue, then devs can assume they DON'T need to go read it. If the commenter doesn't re-open the issue, that means it's NOT an issue. It's just some extra follow-up info of interest to future readers. For example "oh, i see what i did wrong, i should have etc..."

---
In general, A user should never feel like "i have no frigging idea what happened/is happening/is going to happen." But i feel like that ALL THE TIME while using geary. If your goal is ease-of-use, then please consider that.

---
Best wishes!
Johny Why
[oops, i  typed new text here in the previous-text region, thinking it would end up in message body. But instead it's way down here! See what i mean?]