Re: [Geary] Testing wanted - background sync fixes

On Tue, Dec 5, 2017 at 12:58 AM, Federico Bruni <fede inventati org> wrote:

Il giorno sab 2 dic 2017 alle 2:29, Michael Gratton <mike vee net> ha scritto:

If you have set your Geary accounts to download all mail and have been experiencing Geary's background sync process never quite finding all of the messages, causing it to always go back and try to find them every time, can you please try running Geary from git master and let me know if the issue is fixed there for you?

Is this something that a user may have not realized even if it happened? I mean, you may not realize that a folder is syncing 2 or three old messages while you open it. IIUC...

Possibly, since you'd need to be running Geary in a terminal with -d (and now --log-periodic as well) to see it, or be paying a lot of attention to your CPU meter.

With this enabled, you'd see something like the long list of debug output listed in the first comment of Bug 713530[0] as the sync worked its way back to 2000-01-01, at every startup for each effected folders. On current master, you'd see these many lines printed out one more time when first run with commit b1d3d49, then shouldn't see it again.

It might be worth explaining what we need to check in the log.
I guess it's email_total vs local_count occurencies?
Indeed I see some mismatches of old folders which are supposed to be already synced. Some examples:

[deb] 14:41:29 0,001973 Oldest local email in fede domain1 it:INBOX (open_count=1 remote_opened=true) not old enough (2017-03-16T09:52:39+0000 vs. 2000-01-01T00:00:00+0100), email_total=118 vs. local_count=107, synchronizing...

So taking this as an example, after building with commit b1d3d49 you should see this one more time, at startup, then next time you start Geary the local and remote counts should be the same (unless more email has been delivered while it wasn't running, of course).

//Mike

--
⊨ Michael Gratton, Percept Wrangler.
⚙ <http://mjog.vee.net/>