Re: [Geary] Fixes needed for Geary search translations

On Fri, Jun 3, 2016 at 8:02 AM, Anita Reitere <nitalynx gmail com> wrote:
Hi,

Hi,

Are you sure that translating these strings is a good idea? We don't
translate option flags for command-line programs, or formula markup in LaTeX
or LibreOffice.

Function names are localized in LibreOffice. If your LibreOffice is in
French, you would type =somme(A1:A15) instead of =sum(A1:A15).

It would be pretty frustrating to have to re-train your muscle memory just
because you've switched the system language.

Re-train? So you mean you've been using is:unread in Geary for long
already? I don't think this argument is relevant here.

Or to find some advice on the
internet and wonder why it isn't working for you.

The same argument has been made for translating GNOME application
names (Maps, Boxes, Clocks, Music…). I don't really think it's a
strong one as this would actually not happen that much compared to the
target audience trying to find the application they need in the Shell.
Clocks is Horloges in French, so no similarity whatsoever ; someone
who only speaks French wouldn't be able to find the application if we
didn't translate it.

Perhaps it might be possible to support both the original and the translated
keywords in parallel?

That, however, sounds like a good idea. I wish GNOME Shell did the same.

--
Alexandre Franke
GNOME Hacker & Foundation Director