[Geary] EDS for Geary Backend?

I was wondering, pardon my ignorance, is it possible for geary to actually just use EDS on the backend and only develop front-end based on it? I mean, can someone just develop a front-end for mail (without handling anything to do with it) and just use services from eds? Is it complete in that regards? I was looking into the documentation of EDS and it does provide backend for everything.
Camel: Mail
libebook: Addressbook
libecal: Calendar

In fact the calendar application for ubuntu touch using eds backend to simply load and display the events from google calendar.

Can someone enlighten please?