Re: [gdome]Compiling gdome on HP-UX

Thanks!  From the output messages configure writes, it looked like I was in
need of the auto* utilities.  I saw messages saying "missing" this that and
the other and assumed the problem was related to the utils.  Taking a
second look at the output from configure, it seems that it found a
(non-working) copy of gcc here and wanted to use that to compile with.  Is
there a way to point configure to a compiler other than gcc?  I'm not sure
how difficult it would be for me to get an admin to (re)install a good copy
of gcc.  Here's the output from "configure".

Thanks again for your help.

$configure --prefix=$HOME/gdome-installation
checking for a BSD compatible install... ./install-sh -c
checking for working aclocal... missing
checking for working autoconf... missing
checking for working automake... missing
checking for working autoheader... missing
checking for working makeinfo... missing
checking for strerror in -lcposix... no
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot
create executables.

                      Tobias Peters
                      <t-peters gmx de>        To:       gdome gnome org
                      Sent by:                 cc:
                      gdome-admin gnome        Subject:  Re: [gdome]Compiling gdome on HP-UX
                      .org

                      06/24/03 04:27 PM

On Tue, 24 Jun 2003 14:43:43 -0500
JRTHURS UP COM wrote:
> Please forgive my ignorance pertaining to the GNU tools.  I tried to run
> the configure script for gdome but received errors since I'm missing
> autoconf, automake, m4, et. al.

This should not happen. To run the ./configure script you only need a
bourne-style shell. The ksh that comes with hpux should do just fine.

The script may fail because you are lacking some software or libraries, but
autoconf, automake, m4 should not be a dependency.

what error do you get for
$ ksh configure --prefix=$HOME/gdome-installation
?

  Tobias