[gdm-list] Setting up GDM with variable resolutions depending on monitor

I have an Asus EeePC (with a resolution of 1024x600) that I carry around on a daily basis, but when I'm home I connect a 1920x1080 VGA monitor. I'm trying to find a way to use xrandr to detect when the VGA monitor is attached and start
GDM at the proper resolution on the VGA monitor with the Asus display turned
off. I've read that xrandr commands can be used to set the resolution in the
GDM config files, but I'm not sure how to detect when the VGA monitor is
connected. The current setup results in my monitor having a very stretched
1024x600 GDM at login and then switching to a normal resolution once Gnome
starts. I should clarify that I don't use both displays simultaneously, on the
road I obviously use the netbook's built-in display, at home I use only the
monitor. I'm using Arch, my GDM version is 3.4.1-3 and my xrandr version is
1.3.5 if that makes a difference. I'm guessing this is a GDM question but if
it is better suited for the X list please let me know and I will post it there.
Any help is greatly appreciated! Thanks!