[gdm-list] GDM turn off monitors and power saving.

I have a laptop monitor and an external monitor connected to my laptop,using gnome display manager I turned off the laptop monitor,so when the system begins at some point the laptop
monitor becomes black and the output directed to the external monitor.My question is: is this a REAL power saving feature so the LCD backlights of the laptop monitor are really turned off
when we turn off the laptop monitor using GDM?