[gdm-list] Managing users displayed in gdm-simple-greeter

I am running Fedora 15 and therefore GNOME 3.

In the past, controlling identity of users who appear in the greeter
login was simply a matter of adding required names during the gdm
install. Now, somewhere deep in the system, true login users (ie > 500)
are automatically displayed which is fine as far as it goes.. Aside from
the fact that the list is not really workable (it exceeds the space
available which does not facilitate scrolling), I want a specific list
limited to users who are part of our development process on this server.
So it is either exclude all others from the system generated list or
turn off the IncludeAll option and add the users we want (equivalent to
what was done pre GNOME 3.

Would seem easy enough but it isn't. GNOME documentation still tells one
to make these changes as Exclude= under the [Greeter] heading
of /etc/gdm/custom.conf. But that is ignored. I know the conf file as a
whole is being read because I can use it to enable/disable debugging.

I've also had a look at /usr/share/gdm/gdm.schemas but the instructions
are clearly to use /etc/gdm/custom.conf and not gdm.schemas. Noteworthy
in the schemas file, though, under greeter/Exclude are the default files
which include postgres, so it too is 'up-to-date'.

Tried adding to this exclusion list, but that too was ignored, even
after a reboot, so I've restored everything to where it was.

Surely there is a simple solution for this, somewhere in the system.

FWIW Fedora 15 is up-to-date as of noon today.

This is now the only significant problem remaining on our server as a
whole and, for the record, all of us are VERY happy with the GNOME 3
desktop. We had to upgrade the video card, but that was well overdue
anyway and we have no regrets. The Desktop is clean and efficient.
Bravo.

Thanks for hearing me out.

George W.

--
"The generation that had information, but no context. Butter, but no bread.
 Craving, but no longing."