Re: [gdm-list] GDM 3.x and custom login banner.

On 12/01/2011 05:33 PM, Ray Strode wrote:
Hey,

3) force fall back greeter and use the old way.  Put a file called
99-local in /etc/dconf/db/gdm.d/

[org/gnome/desktop/session]
session-name='gdm-fallback'
EOF

and then run dconf update as root

Hi Ray,

Thanks for the suggestions. I liked number 3 the best since we already had it working with the old gdm greeter, so I tried it. On my old laptop that I upgraded to Fedora 16, it worked perfectly. I have a co-worker that tried it on a fresh install of Fedora 16, but it didn't work. He tried looking around to figure out what was wrong but still could not get it to work. It appeared to be ignoring the setting in the 99-local file and would just run the gdm-shell greeter. He said that he tried modifying the 00-upstream-settings directly, but then he got no greeter window at all, just a thin horizontal gray line. Any ideas what might be wrong? I was thinking it might be something left behind on my laptop from an earlier version that was not cleaned up during the upgrade. Maybe something else that is needed to get the gdm-fallback greeter to work, which was left out of the Fedora packages.

Thanks for your suggestions,
~Jason