[gdm-list] Running a BackgroundProgram in GDM 2.20

Hi all,

I'm trying to get xscreensaver run at the GDM login screen. I'm using Hardy (I know, it's old, but I can't upgrade the distro on this machine). I've tried everything that I could find (Google, manpages...), but nothing seems to work. What I think I'm supposed to do is add this to gdm.conf:
BackgroundProgram=xscreensaver -nosplash
RunBackgroundProgramAlways=true

And add a .xscreensaver config file in /var/lib/gdm, but when I restart gdm, xscreensaver doesn't start.

I've tried changing the gdm user's shell to /bin/bash (it was /bin/false), but that didn't help either.

/var/log/gdm/:0.log doesn't show an attempt to start xscreensaver.

Any suggestions? Is this a bug that was fixed in later versions?

Thanks,

Fahd