Re: [gdm-list] gdm and pam session interaction (possible dupe, forgot I use gmail not googlemail as address now)

Richard Horton schrieb:
I've got a very simple (currently) pam module which hooks the
session_open and session_close to enable me to send notifications of
user sessions to a central server (this server needs to change various
parameters depending on whether the workstation user is in 'full' or
'training' type modes based on group memberships).

It works fine for bash logins and other console include su but does
not record anything for gdm.

The core 'guts' of the module are as follows, neither the session open
nor close appear to get called as no syslog entries are generated...
(I know the code is a mess, its a prototype and my first fiddle with
pam moduels). I have tried adding session required pam_session_hook.so
(for that is the name of the hook :) ) to both the /etc/pam.d/gdm
config and /etc/pam.d/system-auth but no joy with either...

Can you show us the pam.d files? They are still the most likely culprit.

If anything has setlogmask your log output might be dropped. (I don't know if gdm does this.)

BTW: You should not call openlog/closelog in a pam_module. The calling process may have called openlog itself and that choice should prevail.

- Jörg

--
Jörg Barfurth                        http://blogs.sun.com/joergb

Disclaimer: I am employed by Oracle. The statements and opinions
expressed here are my own and do not necessarily represent those
of Oracle Corporation.