Re: [gdm-list] Font size of GDM Login screen.

Thanks Ray,

This seems to be working.  By using GIMP, OpenOffice (to get the best font for clarity) and a Snapshot of the OpenOffice results we have an image to use with the LOGO tag in the custom.conf.   Thanks for the ideas.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ray Strode [mailto:halfline gmail com]
Sent: Friday, October 01, 2010 8:23 PM
To: Sullivan, George E.
Cc: gdm-list gnome org
Subject: Re: [gdm-list] Font size of GDM Login screen.

Hey,

> Using Red Hat 5.5 which currently has gdm-2.16.0-56
>
> Is there a way to change the font size of the GDM login screen text when
> using Plain Style?

> I have many servers in racks with a shared KVM device.  I think the KVM is
> causing the loss of system-config-display's ability to negotiate video
> display settings correctly. The best resolution I can get on the monitor is
> 1024x768.
If you submit a ticket at

https://www.redhat.com/support/

then you may be able to get help getting a higher resolution by default.

> If tried the InfoMsgBox with a 96 dpi font and that is sort of ok.  However,
> if the Okay button is encaged someway the message is gone and you are at the
> login screen.  If for some odd reason that Okay button gets hit a user may
> never see banner because the system will be displaying the login screen i.e.
> the InfoMsgBox has done its job and moved on.
Okay, if you need the message text available the entire time the user
is typing their username and password, then I suggest you put the text
in an image and set that image as the background of the login screen.
(you can do that from the gdmsetup command).  Two things that will
help you here:

1) Uncheck the checkbox Image checkboxin the Logo section of the Local
tab of gdmsetup. This will make the login window considerable more
compact.

2)  I also suggest you add:

LockPosition=true
SetPosition=true
PositionX=0
PositionY=0

to the [greeter] section of

/etc/gdm/custom.conf

which will force the login window to the upper left corner of your screen.

3) when making your background, put the text on the right side of the image.

If you do those 3 things, then there should be room for your text and
the dialog at the same time.

If you need help creating the image, let me know and I'll give you some tips.

--Ray