Re: [gdm-list] Separate username and password fields

Le lundi 26 juillet 2010 à 12:17 +0100, mike _ a écrit :
> I was looking though the logs of some of the machines I administer the
> other day and noticed several entries that said words to the effect of
> "Login failed no so user xxxxxxxx' where xxxxxxxx was a string of
> characters which is obviously someone's password.

This is a bug in one of the PAM modules you are using. This is precisely
the reason why pam_unix never logs the usernames upon failed logins.

> I've never liked that GDM only shows one field.

You can agree or disagree about UI choices, but please don’t use side
effects of the implementation details as an excuse for making that
choice.

Furthermore, you can’t know at the time of the login prompt whether you
will need a password or not. There are many other authentication
mechanisms out there.

Cheers,
--
 .''`.
: :' :      “Fuck you sir, don’t be suprised when you die if