Re: [gdm-list] Multiseat status in 2.30

Paul:

Do they have impact in stability when you don't use them?

At Oracle, we have tested the patched quite a lot, and they seem to work
well.  However, the change is non-trivial, and there may still be some
bugs.

Do we get enough testing this way?

I think so, but I guess it depends on your definition of "enough".  Note
that Oracle has been delivering GDM with these patches with the latest
OpenSolaris releases, so that everyone who uses a recent OpenSolaris
release is testing the code.  So it is being used in production.

If not: would it be an idea to add them as "beta features" ?

I would like to test them, when they would be in a package for my
distribution (Debian). Now it's too much work (I am not a developper but
a sysadmin).

Any help you can provide in testing would be great.  If you want to
suggest to your distro that they should package GDM with these patches,
you would need to file a bug or enhancement request with your distro.

I know my distribution. They will say: "Debian is not a testing
playroom. You can put it in "experimental" or on your site."

They will only do it, when you do it.

If you do it now, there is a change that it comes into the next stable
release (and in Ubuntu and other Debian derivates).

In Debian there is both the old GDM and the new GDM.
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/gdm
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/gdm3
http://packages.qa.debian.org/g/gdm3.html

The GDM community is working to determine how to best add MultiSeat
support to GDM.  How quickly this will happen, though, is anybody's
guess.  The MultiSeat patches have already slipped several releases.

Brian