Re: [gdm-list] Fedora 12, GDM, Login Screen, Theme

On Wed, Jan 13, 2010 at 4:58 PM, Danie Bosman <daniejbosman gmail com> wrote:

[...]

> If anybody could enlighten me, I will be most grateful!

There's several answers to this.

One would be: the users of other major operating systems generally
seem to do fine without total tweakability of their login screen.

Another one would be: A standalone loginscreen-tweaking application is
really not the best solution, and the old gdmsetup tool with its
mindset of every-obscure-option-must-be-exposed was a particularly bad
solution.

Another one would be: Yes, there are some things on the login screen
that need to be easily configurable, like what user is used for
autologin, whether a user list should be shown, etc. Ever since the
gdm rewrite, it has been in our plans to colocate these options with a
user account dialog. Admittedly, it has taken us far too long to get
going on this, but I have finally started to work on this. You can see
the current state of affairs here:

https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/UserAccountDialog

Out of interest: What do you feel you need to configure ?

Matthias