Re: [gdm-list] Changing the login screen

Akash:

But what should I do know as my ubuntu just hangs during booting ,
should I reinstall?
I am running Ubuntu 9.10 on Vmplayer.

Re-installing will likely get your system working again.  However, if
you plan on doing development work with GDM, then it might be worthwhile
for you to investigate the problem, and try to debug and fix it.

One unfortunate reality about doing development work on GDM is that
it can be more difficult than working on most other programs.  Since
GDM is the first GUI program that runs on the system, it is not
uncommon to debug problems with it starting up.

Debugging programs that are run in a normal user session is easier
since you can have multiple terminal windows open and you can easily
run the debugger and an application in separate windows.  However, to
do this with GDM, you often need to debug from the system console or
use ssh or telnet from a second machine to attach to running GDM
processes.  So, doing GDM development is more cumbersome.

So, in short, it will likely be difficult for you to do much
development work on GDM if you do not learn how to debug and fix these
sorts of problems.

Brian

On Tue, Feb 9, 2010 at 5:33 AM, Brian Cameron <Brian Cameron sun com