Re: [gdm-list] Multiseat: gdmgreeter does not start on the first server

Brian Cameron schreef:

>> I told before that Xorg did not start on :0. That was wrong, Xorg does
>> start, but directly a program (gdmgreeter, I expect) is starting what
>> creates a blank screen.
>
> This seems like speculation to me.  Note that your Xserver configuration
> is what maps particular displays to DISPLAY values like :0 and :1.  It
> is possible that your Xserver is confused and mapping one of the
> displays incorrectly to /dev/null or a VT that isn't visible by
> default or something.
>
> It might be best to take GDM out of the equation and verify that your
> Xorg configuration is correct.  You can run the Xservers from the
> command line by hand, when GDM isn't running.  If you run the Xserver
> commands like this, the Xserver should display a gray screen to each
> display.  You may need to write a script to launch the Xservers this
> way, or
>
> /usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -nolisten tcp
> /usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 -nolisten tcp

I have tested with:
/usr/X11R6/bin/X :0 -nolisten tcp -layout seat0 -novtswitch -sharevts &
/usr/X11R6/bin/X :1 -nolisten tcp -layout seat1 -novtswitch -sharevts &

I can start one of them without problems, but when I start the second
one when the first one is still running, the first one has problems.
The mouse does not move anymore, but I can still start an Xterm when the
$DISPLAY variabele points to that screen.

When I start first the screen with an SIS VGA adapter, and I start then
the other screen, the SIS driver gives many errors like:
--------------
(WW) SIS(0): Failed to unlock SR registers at relocated i/o ports
(EE) SIS(0):                       ERROR:
(EE) SIS(0): Failed to unlock SR registers (0x9628848, d800, 0xff; 338)
(EE) SIS(0):                   END OF MESSAGE
(EE) SIS(0):                       ERROR:
(EE) SIS(0): Failed to unlock cr registers (0x9628848, d800, 0xff)
(EE) SIS(0):                   END OF MESSAGE
(...)