Re: [gdm-list] gdm-binary CPU usage

Brandon Leger wrote:
    Please make sure you have the latest Solaris 10 update installed?  If

    not, then I'd recommend updating to the latest to make sure you have

    all the latest bug fixes.

    Could you run "pstack (pid)" of the process eating CPU so we can see
    what the process(es) are doing when it is consuming so much CPU?

    Do you have the face browser turned on?  If so, and if you have
    IncludeAll turned on, and a lot of users on your system, then GDM
    can consume a lot of CPU trying to get face images for all users.

    Aside from the above, I haven't heard of any common issues that cause
    GDM on Solaris 10 to consume a lot of CPU.

Hi Brian,
First thank you for the quick response I really do appreciate it. We ended up rebooting the server as it had become unusable for our customers and post re-boot all login issues and GDM-binary CPU usage issues were resolved and we currently have 24 users logged in through xdremote using exceed on a windows box. With that said since the offending processes are no longer chewing through our CPU cycles i cant run the pstack however given another week or two it will likely occur again and I will most definatly run it then and let you all know what ive found. We are running Update 5 on the server and will likely install update 6 soon and see if that helps.

Sounds good.

Additionally I had a look in the system log and saw this error before we rebooted "gdm_slave_xioerror_handler: Fatal X error - Restarting <ip address>:0.0" I am going to try to get debug turned on in the config file and do a safe-restart of the process tonight so we have a little more information next time we get a rouge gdm-binary process.

That error normally shows up if users hit Ctrl-Alt-Backspace to kill
the Xserver.  You might want to disable that "feature" when running
in a Sun Ray environment since it can cause GDM to stop managing a
display.  Sometimes GDM doesn't recover cleanly when users kill
sessions this wsy, forcing you to kill the hung GDM slave daemon
process by hand to get it to restart.  I believe you can turn off
this feature in the Xorg config.

Additionally we tried a test on one of our other boxes with GDM where we enabled the gdm2-login service from the local console and disabled cde-login, connected to the box through an XDMCP connection like our users. Once that was done we did a ps -ef | grep gdm-binary and looked at the PID and PPID to determine which process was the master and which were slave, we identified the gdm-master process as being the PPID of the other gdm-binary processes and attempted to kill the slave gdm-binary process in hopes that we could just kill that one process without affecting all the connections to the box unfourtunatly it didnt matter which slave/child process we killed it brought down all connections to the box, so our only recourse to fix the CPU usage issues is to kick everyone off by killing the slave gdm-binary process or rebooting the box, both of which arent good :/ I will reply back once i can get the pstack done on the gdm-binary once it spikes the CPU again, it may be another week or so before I can get to it.

Let me know, and the extra debug output should be useful.

Brian