[gdm-list] GDM 2.22, 2.24 and network settings

I have compiled GDM 2.24 with no errors on ubuntu 8.10 (gdm 2.20 by default) but how do I enable it/finish the install?

I am trying to get nm-applet to be fully operational under GDM 2.22 or 2.24.

I installed 2.22 with a deb package from a launchpad ppa repo and it works…..kinda (magnifier starts sometimes for no reason, sometime is gets my theme sometimes it doesn’t).  I have nm-applet launched under /usr/share/gdm/autostart/LoginWindow with a desktop file and it works but it won’t launch “edit connections” is this because it is a separate program (nm-connection-editor)?  This is why I want to run 2.24 to see if there is any improvement in the way nm-applet interacts with GDM.

Alternately if there is any way to implement nm-applet type functionality in 2.20 via customcommand feature.   I was never able to get customcommand to launch nm-connection-editor.  However I was able to get it to launch from the Init/Default file but I want the user to decide when to launch it not just pop up every time they login.

The goal of getting this to work it to enable users on our system, which requires remote authentication, to configure their network settings DHCP or Manual via GDM at login to ensure they have a net connection to in fact authenticate.

Jeremy VanDomelen, Systems Engineer

SafeDesk Solutions Inc.

1614 W Riverside Ave, Suite 104

Spokane, WA 99201