[gdm-list] Elevated niceness

 My Hardware: Athlon-XP, 256Meg RAM.
My Software:   Ubuntu 9.10; GNOME 2.28.1.

If I remember correctly, when I installed Ubuntu from scratch, I was offered to run the X server at an elevated priority. I did so then, but whatever the installer did got undone in some subsequent upgrade.

I am experiencing a lot of problems with the GUI becoming unresponsive under seemingly "normal" loads. Superficially, it seems there is so much stuff running in the background that memory is very scarce for the desktop applications.
SO, running some things with an elevated NICE seems a worthwhile idea.
From my account, I can do it with GKSUDO; but that doesn't help my other users. For them, the operation has to be automatic and invisible.

The current targets are:
    Xorg at nice= -18
gnome-panel= -6 ; this is inherited by desktop applications launched from the panel. gnome-session=-8 ; for when I have to manually intervene to kill problem applications.

Of course, I'll listen to any suggested improvements in that scheme.
However, my question today is -- where in the gdm session initiation sequence can I insert the required commands. The best way, I suppose, is when gdm is running as "root" and launching components. Failing that, a script that will find the applications running and can "renice" them. I've tried some changes in "/etc/gdm/xxx/default" but they don't appear to take effect.

--
David A. Cobb -- computing t-rex

begin:vcard
fn:David A. Cobb
n:Cobb;David A.
email;internet:superbiskit cox net
tel;home:+1-401-615-3895
tel;cell:+1-401-301-2207
note;quoted-printable:Semi-retired T-Rex Mainframe Programmer=0D=0A=
	Orthodox Christian=0D=0A=

x-mozilla-html:TRUE
version:2.1
end:vcard