[gdm-list] gdm doesn't use /etc/ld.so.conf libraries.

Hello,

I use Mathematica together with my image-processing library what means
that I call
functions of this lib out of the Mathematica frontend. The library
itself depends on several libs (some of them in my home/lib) which are
either known by the system or which were made visible with
the /etc/ld.so.conf and the ldconfig tool.
When I start Mathematica from a console everything works fine (notice: I
have not set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable). Starting Mathematica by an
gdm-application launcher and my image-tools don't work. One solution is
to set the LD_LIBRARY_PATH in my or in the system-wide .profile file
which is read by gdm.

Is there a reason why gdm doesn't use the ldconfig settings? I mean
other installed programs can be started through a gdm-launcher and they
depend on their libs too. What are they doing that they can be started
from console and from launcher? Are they just putting there libs in a
known place like /usr/lib?

Cheers
Patrick