Re: [gdm-list] Document hint about 'command' in gdm.conf?

Wolfram:

You are obviously using GDM 2.20 or earlier since the latest versions
of GDM don't let you easily reconfigure the Xserver command without
recompiling GDM.  Note GDM 2.22 and later are a complete rewrite and
do not support as much configuration options as the old GDM.

I do think this is handy information.  However, I don't think it makes
much sense to update the old GDM documentation.  It probably makes
sense to add this to the latest GDM documentation if and when the
Xserver command can be more easily configured.

Brian

I recently wanted to replace the command to launch the X-server in
gdm.conf with a custom shell script. At first it failed, then I found a
mail in this list pointing out that it is important to get the signals
back to gdm. After this useful information, I could easily make it work
like this:

#! /bin/sh
ddcprobe | grep -q 'edidfail'
[ $? -eq 0 ] && screen=LCD || screen=CRT

# exec must be used, so all signals will go back to gdm!
exec /usr/X11R6/bin/X -screen $screen -audit 0 "$@"

Now I wonder, if the information about using exec in a custom shell
script might be worth to be included in the documentation? It could be
put as a note to the 'command' section in gdm.conf perhaps? I'd be
willing to write a few lines if this is considered useful :)

Kind regards,

   Wolfram