Re: [gdm-list] gdmflexiserver questions

Reid Rivenburgh wrote:
Hi.  I'm currently running Fedora 9-nearly-release (up to date with
rawhide, gdm.x86_64 1:2.22.0-1.fc9) with an nvidia card (8600 GTS) and
the nv driver.  I have a few questions about gdm and gdmflexiserver
that I tried asking on the fedora list, but haven't gotten a response.
 I figure this is a better place to ask.

I have a desktop machine that one user, me, is always logged in to.
When I step away from the computer, I like the idea of going back to
the gdm login screen so other users can login.  I found out about
gdmflexiserver recently, and that appeared to be nearly perfect.  If I
understand it correctly, I can run "gdmflexiserver -s" to go back to
the gdm login screen; other users can login, and I can login as me and
find myself back at my X display.

Here are the questions, though.

1. Is the above usage correct?  It should be doing what I want?
You probably don't have to input "-s".

Looking into code, option "-s" actually do nothing in GDM 2.22.
It's a legacy option. In old GDM, this option will directly start
a new login screen without popping up a user chooser, which is a
separate dialog different from login screen. In GDM 2.22.0, login
screen has contained user chooser, "-s" is useless I think.

Also, there're GUI ways to switch user or back to login screen.

- user switcher applet on gnome-panel. You can add this applet
manually and try.

- Old GDM has another 2 ways. User switching button on "Logout"
dialog and "Preferences->New login" on launch menu. However,
these 2 GUI doesn't work with GDM 2.22.

2. I noticed my machine was slowly using up memory.  It seems that
everytime I run "gdmflexiserver -s", I get a whole new X session
running.  When I log back in as me, it doesn't go away, so they're
building up over time.  At the moment, I have six metacity processes
running (and I run fvwm!), which is how I've been monitoring this.
I've noticed that when I run "gdmflexiserver -s", it almost
immediately shows the gdm login screen, but then I see a new X server
starting, and after a few seconds, I again see the gdm login.  I
thought at first that it was just killing and restarting the X server
for some reason, but now I suspect it's creating a new one each time.
Does anyone know why this might be happening?

What you are seeing might be switch Xserver rather than killing
and restarting Xserver.

In fact, login screen is running like a real gnome-session,
called greeter-session. When starting gdmflexiserver, it will
detect whether or not greeter-session exists. If yes, just
switch to there. Otherwise, create a new greeter-session and
then switch.

3. Assuming I can get things running properly, I've been a little
confused about what scripts run when.  I was hoping the
gdm/Init/Default and related scripts get run every time I run the
gdmflexiserver command.  It doesn't seem like they do, though.  Is
that correct?  Basically, after running gdmflexiserver, I want to turn
off the monitor after sleeping for a short time.  I get the feeling
that DPMS doesn't work if you simply change VT to a display that
thinks the monitor is already off (i.e. past the idle time) unless you
hit a key or move the mouse to reset the idle counter.

You can try with GPM display management. That would be easier
than writing a script. What you need to do is just set from
gnome-power-preferences.

Also, GPM can be even run on login screen. When you stay on
login screen for a long time, monitor will sleep after a
specified idleness time.

4. When I try to run a gdmflexiserver command, I get this:

% gdmflexiserver --command VERSION

** (gdmflexiserver:15043): WARNING **: No longer supported

Is that supposed to happen?

You could try with
$gdmflexiserver --version

-Simon