Re: [gdm-list] GDM Login + Background Application

Spartan86:

I'm currently trying to get a backgound application to work with the
gdm2-login, but when I run the application it will not allow the user to
login.

Application is :
/xv -roo -rmode 5 -ac -ran -vie -wa 5 -wl -dir /logingBackground/images
-flist /logingBackground/imageList

Note that BackgroundProgram only works with gdmlogin and not gdmgreeter.
Note that the GDM user normally does not have a writable $HOME
directory, so running program that require a writable $HOME directory
might not work so well.  I am not sure if xv is such a program, but
something to be aware of and look into.

You say that the application is "/xv".  Is the "xv" program really
installed to the root directory?

Does BackgroundProgram work if you try to use it with other programs?
Does it only fail when you try to use it with "xv"?  Or does it not work
in general?

Once thing that I sometimes find useful for testing is to modify the
GDM Init script (/etc/X11/gdm/Init/Default) to run a shell in the
background, by adding something like this:

  xterm &

Then restart GDM, and it should launch an xterm along with the login
GUI.  Then it is possible to run programs in the same shell environment
that the GUI programs will run.  You can then try running your "xv"
command to see if it generates any useful error or warning messages
that might highlight the problem.

Brian