Re: [gdm-list] startup time of gdm 2.21

Hi,

On Sat, Mar 22, 2008 at 8:05 PM, Matthias Clasen
<matthias clasen gmail com> wrote:
>  I used Federico's strace approach and poked at the startup time of the new gdm.
>  The results are here:
>  http://people.redhat.com/mclasen/gdm-startup.png
>  As you can see, there seem to be 3 things which eat the bulk of the time:
>  - start gconfd and wait for it
>  - start gnome-settings-daemon and wait for it
>  - construct and populate the language dialog
>
>  We may not have any choice for gconfd, but I don't think we have to
>  wait for g-s-d, and constructing the language dialog should probably
>  be deferred until it is actually needed or done in the background

Thanks for looking into this.  I've added some profiling checkpoints
to the code in svn.
My initial results are here:
http://www.gnome.org/~mccann/gdm/startup1.png

I agree we should defer construction of the language dialog.  We used
to start the settings daemon asynchronously but changed it to avoid
having settings/themes change after the dialog had already come up.
Maybe we should revisit that decision.  Probably also worth spending
some time to profile and optimize g-s-d startup.

Jon