Re: [gdm-list] gdm 2.23.1 cannot connect to dbus' system-bus

On Fri, Jul 04, 2008, Mirco Müller wrote:
>         ** (gdm-binary:11778): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to system
>         bus: Failed to connect to
>         socket /tmp/gdm-testing/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such
>         file or directory
>
>         ** (process:11779): WARNING **: error getting system bus: Failed
>         to connect to
>         socket /tmp/gdm-testing/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such
>         file or directory
>
>         ** CRITICAL **: Unable to initialize settings client aborting...
>
> ... on the console. Last week that approach did work. I wonder what has
> changed in either of the three components causing this failure. I don't
> know much about the inner workings of dbus so I assume I'm missing
> something in that area.

 Hmm I think the default path to the system dbus bus is in the dbus lib,
 so perhaps you are now using a locally built dbus instead of your
 system one?

 Anyway, if what you want to do is use your real system bus for your gdm
 tests, you can cheat by bind-mounting your /var/run/dbus dir below
 /tmp/gdm-testing/var/run/dbus, and if what you want to do is start a
 new system bus, you could try running whatever the upstream dbus init
 script runs with the locally built dbus binaries.

 FYI there's a weird char in your above error message "... socket
 /tmp/gdm-<feff>testing/var/run..."  that <feff> char is weird, perhaps
 a typo on your configure line which wasn't visible on your terminal but
 breaks your pathnames?

--
Loïc Minier