[gdm-list] gdm 2.23.1 cannot connect to dbus' system-bus

Greetings everybody!

        I'm using gdm, dbus and ConsoleKit from upstream (as of today)
and installed them all for testing purposes in the
prefix /tmp/gdm-testing.

        With the system-wide installed gdm disabled (/etc/init.d/gdm
stop) I start the new gdm from a VT like...

        BASE=/tmp/gdm-testing
        export PATH=$BASE/bin:$BASE/libexec:$BASE/sbin:$PATH
        export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$BASE/libexec:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH
        gdm &
        gdm-simple-greeter &

but get an error like...

        ** (gdm-binary:11778): WARNING **: Couldn't connect to system
        bus: Failed to connect to
        socket /tmp/gdm-testing/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such
        file or directory

        ** (process:11779): WARNING **: error getting system bus: Failed
        to connect to
        socket /tmp/gdm-testing/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such
        file or directory

        ** CRITICAL **: Unable to initialize settings client aborting...

... on the console. Last week that approach did work. I wonder what has
changed in either of the three components causing this failure. I don't
know much about the inner workings of dbus so I assume I'm missing
something in that area.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards...

Mirco