Re: [gdm-list] Status of GDM 2.22?

On lun, 2008-01-21 at 18:25 -0600, Brian Cameron wrote:
> I am interested to hear what the various distros plan to do about GDM
> in the 2.22 release cycle.  Do distros feel that GDM is ready for a
> stable release or does it make more sense for GDM to punt for another
> release cycle?
>
> I know that Sun cannot switch to the new login program until it meets
> various requirements (Sun Ray support, audit, etc.), so Solaris will
> continue to use GDM 2.20 until those issues are addressed.  However, I
> know other distros may not be so concerned about interface stability
> and may want to switch to the rewrite sooner.
>
> Or does it make sense to fork the rewrite into a separate project?  As
> the rewrite has developed, it seems that there is little interest in
> supporting the look & feel, themeability, the configuration, or other
> aspects that make GDM "GDM".  As Jon has stated, there are now only a
> handful of functions in the rewrite which have remained from the old
> code-base.

Hi,

Ubuntu has decided to not use the new gdm codebase in the coming version
since it still has no settings migration, themed login, graphical
configuration tool, autologin, language selection and lacks testing.
We will likely distribute the new code as a snapshot version or
something similar that users can install though

Sebastien Bacher