Re: [gdm-list] Executing a command before login window

Saber:

I think the Init script is what you are looking for.  Refer to it
in the GDM documentation, section 6.1:

  http://www.gnome.org/projects/gdm/docs/2.20/configuration.html

There also might be some hooks in the Xserver code itself which
might be of use, though I'd recommend you check with an Xorg
forum if you need to pursue this (e.g. if the Init script suggestion
doesn't work).

Aside from that, you could hack the GDM souce code directly to make
the call when you want, but that is a bit ugly.

Brian

First of all, I would like to thank you for the great job.

I have an NVIDIA graphic card (8800GT) with a buggy driver that makes
it run the fan at full speed all the time. As a workaround, I would
like to run the command "nvclock -f -F 40" to reduce the fan speed.

The command must be executed anywhere after X loads the nvidia driver.

Is there a way that I can run that command some where between when the
driver is loaded and when the gdm login window appears ?

I tried to create a startup script in /etc/rc*.d that executes the
command after GDM starts but this didn't work.

I am using Debian Etch/ Kernel 2.6.18-5-686/ GDM 2.16.4/ Xorg 7.1.1

Any hints would be appreciated.
Saber.